When thinking about a company name for our adventure in family entrepreneurship, my husband and I decided on Fostering Generations LLC. Fostering, as defined by Merriam-Webster, means to promote the growth or development of: Encourage. Even before we were married we believed that God would have us teach the next generation all that we know and are learning about our Him and the relationship He has given us with Him through His Son. When we had children this became even more clearer.
Deuteronomy 6:5-7 says. ” You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up.
Seeing that the business was just another way to walk by the way, we chose the name. Also, it didn’t hurt that our last name was Foster. We hope that what comes out of our adventure will help you foster your generations.
The following verses admonish us to teach the next generation so that their confidence will be in God.
- God said to Moses, I AM WHO I AM”; and He said, “Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’” God, furthermore, said to Moses, “Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, ‘The LORD, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is My name forever, and this is My memorial-name to all generations – Exodus 3:14-15
- Remember the days of old, Consider the years of all generations. Ask your father, and he will inform you, Your elders, and they will tell you. – Deuteronomy 32:7
- All that generation also were gathered to their fathers; and there arose another generation after them who did not know the LORD, nor yet the work which He had done for Israel. – Judges 2:10
- The counsel of the LORD stands forever, The plans of His heart from generation to generation. – Psalm 33:11
- Walk about Zion and go around her; Count her towers; Consider her ramparts; Go through her palaces, That you may tell it to the next generation. For such is God, Our God forever and ever; He will guide us until death. – Psalm 48:12-14
- And even when I am old and gray, O God, do not forsake me, Until I declare Your strength to this generation, Your power to all who are to come. – Psalm 71:18
- Listen, O my people, to my instruction; Incline your ears to the words of my mouth. I will open my mouth in a parable; I will utter dark sayings of old, Which we have heard and known, And our fathers have told us. We will not conceal them from their children, But tell to the generation to come the praises of the LORD, And His strength and His wondrous works that He has done. For He established a testimony in Jacob And appointed a law in Israel, Which He commanded our fathers That they should teach them to their children, That the generation to come might know, even the children yet to be born, That they may arise and tell them to their children, That they should put their confidence in God And not forget the works of God, But keep His commandments, 8 And not be like their fathers, A stubborn and rebellious generation, A generation that did not prepare its heart And whose spirit was not faithful to God. – Psalm 78:1-4
- So we Your people and the sheep of Your pasture Will give thanks to You forever; To all generations we will tell of Your praise. – Psalm 79:13
- I will sing of the lovingkindness of the LORD forever; To all generations I will make known Your faithfulness with my mouth. – Psalm 89:1
- For the LORD is good; His lovingkindness is everlasting And His faithfulness to all generations. – Psalm 100:5
- This will be written for the generation to come, That a people yet to be created may praise the LORD. – Psalm 102:18
- Forever, O LORD, Your word is settled in heaven. Your faithfulness continues throughout all generations; You established the earth, and it stands. – Psalm 119:89-90
- One generation shall praise Your works to another, And shall declare Your mighty acts. – Psalm 145:4
- Tell your sons about it, And let your sons tell their sons, And their sons the next generation. – Joel 1:3
All verses from the KJV & NKJV